Independence Squares welcomes all to our inclusive square dance community!
Information concerning our future return to dancing:
The Independence Squares board will be monitoring the COVID-19 situation closely. The plans below are subject to change based on case numbers. Please read future announcements sent via email and check back here for updates. We want to get back to dancing ASAP, but the well-being of our members is our highest priority.
On September 14 & 28 Independence Squares will host Mainstream/Plus “Refresher with no Pressure!” review workshops at our club space, 2111 Sansom St, Philadelphia. We’ll be dancing from 7-9 PM each of these evenings.
Our regular club night resumes Tuesday, October 12. See the class page for full information.
– Zoom Mahjong will continue every Monday until further notice.
Independence Squares is committed to the safety of all attendees at our events. As a result, the Board of Directors and the venue have put the following safety protocols in place.
- Full vaccination will be required of all attendees. This is defined as being at least two weeks past your second Pfizer or Moderna vaccination, or at least one week past your J&J vaccination. Proof of vaccination will be required only at your first attendance and will be noted on the club’s records. A copy of your vaccination card will not be kept by the club. You can present the original vaccination card or a photo of same, even on your phone. A photo ID will also be required at your first attendance.
- A properly worn mask, defined as covering both your nose and mouth, is required at all times while in the building. (Note that the callers will not be required to wear masks while calling but will maintain a distance of at least 6’ from the dancers while calling and will be masked when not calling). Other types of face coverings are not permitted as the sole face covering. The mask can be raised or lowered briefly for consumption of beverages. Any consumption of snacks must be done outside of the building.
- A club provided “COVID-19 Health Screening” and “Waiver and Release Of Liability” must be signed at each event in the presence of a club officer. The form can be downloaded HERE (https://independencesquares.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/Combined_covid_waiver_and-_health_attestation.pdf) and can be printed in advance and brought to the event. The form is to be signed in the presence of a club officer. Copies will be available at the event. A “Yes” answer to either question on the “COVID-19 Health Screening” will unfortunately prevent you from attending the event.
- Refreshments will not be provided by the club. You are encouraged to bring your own water bottle, although cups will be available at the venue and can be filled at the church’s water fountain or sink. Please do not bring snacks to share.
Please be sure to arrive early to each event since the implementation of our safety protocols may cause a delay of entry to the event.
The Board of Directors of Independence Squares will continue to monitor the pandemic situation and our safety protocols and will make certain to communicate any changes to the membership.
We are so excited to finally get back on the dance floor and to see all of you again! For further questions, please contact email@example.com.
More information about the club:
Independence Squares is Philadelphia’s Modern Western Square Dance club serving the LGBTQ+ community and our allies. The club offers an assortment of classes and workshops for beginners through experienced dancers.
Unlike conventional clubs, you don’t have to come with a partner, anyone can dance either the boy’s or girl’s part, and we dance to a broad range of music that can include Abba, Garth Brooks, Fleetwood Mac, Lady Gaga, Phantom of the Opera and ZZ Top (for starters). You can dance in jeans and t-shirts too. Square dancing is a social, low-key way to meet people.
The call lists are those used by Callerlab. Classes are open to all, and membership is contingent on completing the Mainstream program and paying dues. Dances are open to all dancers who have proficiency up to the level being danced.
In addition to dancing with us, once you’ve learned the Mainstream program, you can go to any square dance anywhere in the country and join right in. There are dances locally, regionally and nationally with attendance ranging from 20 to over 1,000 people at national conventions.
So banish those memories of high school gym class and see how much more fun you can have as a grown up! Hope to see you in a square!